“Restoring Dignity to Survivors of Sexual/Gender Based Violence and Their Families”
Wangu Kanja Foundation which is a non-governmental, non-political and not for profit making organization whose vision
is a society free of sexual violence.
The foundation is a registered Trustee under the Perpetual Succession Act Chapter 164 of the Laws of Kenya.
The Foundation was born from challenges that the founder Wangu Kanja went through after she was raped in a carjacking incidence in 2002.
Her traumatic experience in the hands of the rapist, family, friends and the public led to her realization that she needed to take action to address sexual violence by creating awareness and prevention.
- To be a center of excellence in prevention, protection and response in addressing sexual and gender based violence
- A society that is safe and free from all forms of violence.
Values / guiding principles
- Respect for Human Dignity
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Transparency and accountability
- Quality services to all
- Awareness creation
- Healing – Access to comprehensive care and support
- Psychological (Counseling/dance therapy sessions)
- Legal Aid
- Restorative justice (closure for survivors and perpetrators)
- Financial freedom (income generating activities for survivors)